Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Snoozing with Dylan

I've seen a lot of big shows lately - Springsteen - and smaller shows - Drive-By Truckers - so I wasn't in the mood to see another one on my night off. But it's hard to pass up Bob Dylan, because you never know when you may not have another chance. Still, I had low expectations, and he didn't really rise too far above them. In fact, it marked the second time I actually fell asleep at a Dylan show, something that's not happened at any other of the thousands of shows I've caught.

Was Dylan boring? Not really. But he was a drag as he croaked his way through recent stuff and a few unrecognizable classics. Ironically, listening to him speak-sing stuff like "Highway 61," serviceable but nowhere near what he used to be able to pull off, did make me want to go home and listen to the real thing. The songs are strong enough to survive the singer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home