Monday, August 27, 2007

My New Brazilian Best Buddy (Whether I Want Him or Not!)

Lollapalooza was a few weeks ago, and the festival was mostly uneventful. But at the end of the first day, heading back home on the train, I met a music writer for Rolling Stone Brazil, fresh off the plane from Sao Paulo and living in the Chicago suburbs with his wife. Small world, huh? I gave him my card and figured that was that, until the phone calls and emails started. The guy was super friendly, almost suspiciously so, until Alma explained to me that Brazilians are known for their gregarious ways, and that any answer short of a "no" is generally interpreted as a big "yes."

Americans are, of course, masters at the "maybe," so splitting the difference the guy wore me down into taking him to a show, which I did: Wu-Tang Clan. It was a lot of fun, really, for the novelty alone. He's got other friends, and his wife, of course, but I get the impression he's more or less been let loose in Chicago to explore and have fun. Which means I'm sure I'll be seeing more of him soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home